Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mmmmm....? Kale Chips?

I confess: Although I know what a Super Hero kale is in the world of food, I'm not a fan. I've tried stir frying, steaming, boiling, adding to soups, chopping it in the smallest of pieces so I could forget it's there, even juicing it, but more often than not I have to admit, I'll buy it with the best of intentions only to find I've let it sit in my fridge long enough to become a soft pile of wilted leaves. Tragic!

So, when I came across a recipe for Kale Chips, I was definitely skeptical. You see, my former Junk Food Junkie self still lives deep within me, and when she hears "chips" paired with "kale" she utters an audible "shyeah Riiiight."

But, my reNU'd Health Food Fanatic self is in charge here, right? And she is willing to try something new. What's the worst that can happen?

So, before I share my review of Kale chips and the recipe, here's a bit about this superfood:

  • provides powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients that boost the liver's detoxifying enzymes, clearing carcinogenic substances and toxins more quickly... studies indicate it is especially beneficial for reducing cancers of the breast, ovaries, and bladder
  • an excellent source of Vit A, protecting eye, skin, intestinal, and lung health
  • very rich source of Vit C: 1 serving provides 89% of your daily requirement!
  • very good source of fibre, which binds to toxins and fats (including LDL cholesterol), helping to sweep them out before they are absorbed, and keeps blood sugar and energy steady
  • very good source of highly absorbable calcium for bone and heart health
  • you can find out more about Kale and get more recipes at whfoods.org

The recipe:*

  1. preheat oven to 200 degrees
  2. Take one bunch of Kale (preferably organic) and tear into small pieces away from the stem
  3. wash kale pieces well, and spin dry in a salad spinner
  4. put in a bowl, and pour on a couple tbsp of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and the juice of half a lemon
  5. sprinkle with sea salt
  6. optionally mix in 1-2 cloves of minced garlic
  7. mix this all up with your hands, and spread out on a baking sheet
  8. bake for 30 minutes; use a "scraper" to lift leaves off baking pan to prevent sticking, and put back in oven for 15 more minutes

*recipe by Megan Telpner RHN (garlic option added by Moi! I loooove garlic!)

Makes 2 servings

Nutritional content: 190 calories / 17g fat / 7g carbs / 2g protein / 3g fibre

The Review:

Welllllllllll now... that is not half bad! Perhaps a little "lemony" at first bite, and that unmistakable kaleness is certainly there, but yeah... I like 'em! And the garlic adds a little crunchiness too. Yep, I'd make these again when the urge to snack hits... This is a great way to get all the healthy benefits of kale, without the ick-factor. I bet you could flavour these with other spices you might like... maybe some cayenne pepper if you like it a little spicey, or ooooh cumin might be tasty.

Go ahead, give it a try! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment